Software Engineer, Simulation ScaleSee more jobs from Aurora Innovation
about 2 months old
Who We Are
At Aurora, we’re on a mission to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. It all starts with the Aurora Driver, a platform created from industry-leading hardware and software and designed to adapt across a variety of vehicle types and industries.
We’re led by a team of self-driving luminaries, and we’ve forged strategic partnerships with leading transportation companies—including ride-hailing network Uber, truck-manufacturers PACCAR and Volvo Trucks, and the world’s largest automaker Toyota—setting us up to deliver the Aurora Driver in both trucks and passenger vehicles. We are funded by Amazon, Uber, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock, and Index Ventures.
Aurora is in the best position to lead the self-driving space with a team of unparalleled depth and expertise, the technology to deliver, and the partnerships to build a transformative business for the long-term.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. In this role we’re searching for a software engineering to work on offline testing execution framework and tooling for our self-driving vehicles on the Simulation Scale team. This team run autonomy simulations at massive scale, utilizing large scale compute and services for execution, data collection and accessing results of offline tests. Hundreds of developers use our system every day to test and assess new self-driving capabilities, root cause issues, and measure performance. We work closely with all autonomy and system teams to ensure the simulation test system is highly available, reliable and efficient for the scale of operations at Aurora. Creating the software that drives a self-driving car requires a large amount of simulated testing to ensure safety and capability requirements are being met, and we make sure that process is efficient and seamless in the development and release workflow.
In this role, you will
- Design and develop large, distributed batch execution, data collection and processing services in the cloud
- Collaborate with teams across the autonomy, systems engineering, and vehicle platform groups to help them get the signal they need from offline testing to assess autonomy performance
- Propose new code designs and write technical design documents
- Lead key projects for the Scale team
- Mentor junior team members and maintain engineering excellence
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent industry experience
- Experience with large scale distributed systems or microservice architectures
- Strong programming skills in modern languages like Golang, Python, C++, Java
- A passion for writing robust, intuitive, high-performance code
- Ability to navigate and work effectively in large codebases
- Strong software development background demonstrated by industry experience in production web, mobile, SaaS or cloud computing
- Experience in relational database administration
- Experience using and deploying AWS resources and services
- Familiar with web application development
- Comfortable with Linux/other Unix environments
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in Pittsburgh, Mountain View, San Francisco, Bozeman, Dallas and Seattle. We also offer a competitive benefits package that supports the whole you, including:
- Competitive salary, bonus and RSU package
- Premium choices for Medical, vision, and dental
- 401k benefits
- Life and disability benefits
- 18 weeks paid leave for new parents and caregivers
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Fertility benefits through Carrot
- Working from home support
- Professional growth and mentorship opportunities through the Aurora Academy
- Wellness Platforms (Spring Health, Headspace, Aaptiv, Quit Genius)
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit.
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law. Your responses, or your choice not to respond, will not be associated with your specific application, nor will they be used in the selection process or in making any hiring decision.
Founded in 2017, Aurora was started by industry luminaries, and now we’re a team with a multitude of perspectives and experiences. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson worked on the tech at MIT before leading Tesla’s Model X and Autopilot programs. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. Regarded as the most experienced leadership team in the industry, these three bring decades of expertise, passion and focus to realizing our mission.