The world is changing. We all want something different.
At Luno, we see you as an individual, and we want to unleash your potential and empower you to become the best possible version of yourself.
Luno welcomes crypto lovers and crypto newbies. You - just like everyone in the world - are on your own unique crypto-learning journey.
We are a mission-driven cryptocurrency company that is building more open and equal access to the future of money. You don’t have to know lots about crypto to be interested in joining us, you just have to feel that upgrading the world to a fairer financial system matters, and that you’d like to be part of this global change. We’re a passionate and committed team taking on a challenge of epic proportions. Like the first moon landing, it requires a special kind of people working together with unusual skill, focus and determination. We need the best team on board for our mission.
If that sounds like a culture you’d thrive in, then we are excited to hear from you.
A little about us
- Luno means moon in Esperanto, we chose the name because at night, wherever you are in the world, you look up at the same moon. We believe in the power of working together, as one team, across borders, with clear focus and shared purpose.
- Our popular mobile app and website helps people around the world grow and manage their money using the world's most mature cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin, Ethereum and USDC. We’ve processed over $21 billion to date.
- Over 7 million customers across 40 countries have chosen to hold their crypto wallets on Luno because we offer a delightfully simple experience and bank-grade security.
- We're part of the Digital Currency Group, named in 2021 as one of TIME magazine’s 100 Most Influential Companies, in the “Disruptors” category alongside Tesla, AirBnB, SpaceX, Peloton. TIME noted that DCG is “mainstreaming cryptocurrency”.
- We’re proud to be one of the world’s most international cryptocurrency teams, with colleagues from 43 different nationalities working across South Africa, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Nigeria, Australia and Singapore. Financial inclusion is part of our mission, but on a deeper level, inclusion is a way of life, and a way of work for us. It is part of who we are as a company, and a group of human individuals.
The role in a nutshell
As a Financial Crime Analyst, you’ll be focusing on building and empowering the Financial Crime Analytics team with the Team Lead. You’ll also be working closely with other Financial Crime and Protect & Serve fleet team members. You’ll be facilitating cross-team projects, helping shape our platform to reward genuine behaviour and minimise bad behaviour, and contributing to our growth plan.
- Our vision is to make and keep Luno the safest place on the planet to buy, sell, store and use cryptocurrency. There are three people in the team, all based in Cape Town. You will report into Charles-Hugo Petit, who is who is the FinCrime Analytics Team Lead, based in Cape Town.
Your mission will involve
- Identifying problems and recommending enhancements based on the assessment of Financial Crime systems and processes.
- Helping to build a platform which rewards good customer behaviour by reducing friction and minimises bad behaviour.
- Helping to scale the capability and capacity of the team through the use of technology.
- Implementing machine learning technology to leverage the use of technology.
- Leveraging Financial Crime technologies to identify patterns which alert us to risk including:
- Behavioral analysis risk scoring;
- Network analysis;
- Anti-Money Laundering systems, etc.
- Implementing automated friction focused on:
- Proactive monitoring;
- Efficiency; and
- Creating and maintaining metrics dashboards.
- Providing input into new products from a Financial Crime analytics perspective.
- Assisting with the preparation of reports which measure the effectiveness of the team.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to define, design, and implement new tools and features from a Financial Crime analytics perspective.
In your first six months, you will
- Have a thorough functional understanding of Luno’s Financial Crime tools and integrations.
- Support the execution of the Financial Crime Analytics team’s initiatives.
- Identify and understand the challenges and propose solutions to circumvent them.
- Gain exposure to cryptocurrency, financial crime and customer security.
The ideal Lunaut for this role, will have
- A relevant Degree, Diploma from an accredited college/university in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Statistics, Math or a related quantitative field of study.
- A minimum of 2 year experience in data analysis or investigative roles within Financial Services, specifically using technology to mitigate against Financial Crime or Anti-Money Laundering related risks.
- Proven functional understanding of Financial Crime and Machine Learning technologies (Anti-Money Laundering systems, customer and transaction risk scoring, network analysis, etc.).
- Ability to conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses of large and complex data as it relates to the project requirements in the Financial Crime space.
Life at Luno
If you’re looking to work on something truly global and disruptive with a forward-thinking and ambitious team that highly values diversity, teamwork, and the continuous quest for excellence, then this is an opportunity for you.
Like the majority of the companies, Luno is currently working remotely to keep our employees safe, which means you will not be physically, but virtually onboarded for now!
- Live long and prosper. We’ve got you covered with excellent private medical insurance.
- You'll be able to continuously up-skill yourself with access to free courses on Udemy, Coursera and Codecademy.
- For the crypto fans among you (should be everyone!), you'll pay 0 fees with Luno from the day you start
- Generous maternity / paternity leave.
- An annual inspiration day, over and above your annual and public holiday leave... for that pottery course you’ve always been meaning to do!
- Work with a globally diverse team of hardworking, ambitious and friendly people on something that will truly revolutionise the financial world.
- We have virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts to break up your day and work that other part of your brain.
- Work is important, but your mental health should always take priority. At Luno, we do everything we can to make sure you lead a healthy and happy life. That's why Luno gives you free access to Headspace – a full library of guided meditations, sleep stories, and music.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not negatively discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.