Principal Distributed Systems Engineer - ServiceSee more jobs from Snowflake Inc.
5 days old
There is only one Data Cloud. Snowflake’s founders started from scratch and designed a data platform built for the cloud that is effective, affordable, and accessible to all data users. But it didn’t stop there. They engineered Snowflake to power the Data Cloud, where thousands of organizations unlock the value of their data with near-unlimited scale, concurrency, and performance. This is our vision: a world with endless insights to tackle the challenges and opportunities of today and reveal the possibilities of tomorrow.
We are actively hiring talented Principal Distributed Systems Engineers for our Snowflake Berlin engineering office, located in central Berlin. The working language for this office is English.
This is a unique opportunity to join other experienced engineers in the growing Service team in Berlin. The focus of the team is to build new components and optimize existing components in Snowflake's services layer. The goal is to further increase performance of query execution as well as concurrency of parallel query execution. This includes work on distributed systems, message passing algorithms, distributed caches, and consensus protocols, impacting thousands of customers and affecting millions of requests per day.
AS A PRINCIPAL DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS ENGINEER AT SNOWFLAKE, YOU WILL:
- Lead significant engineering efforts in the Service area and beyond.
- Lead improvements to product stability and reliability, on-call and service health, customer support, diagnosability and manageability of the product.
- As a domain expert, understand the state of the art, the design of competitive products, and be familiar with research in the area of distributed services.
- Develop and lead new ideas and innovations.
- Make contributions at the company-wide level with longer-term objectives, usually 1-3 years in duration.
- Be a key decision-maker on technical or business issues, which significantly impacts roles and responsibilities of others.
- Regularly explore uncharted territory. Be aware of business trends and emerging technologies even outside the current business and determine how they can be leveraged to the advantage of Snowflake.
OUR IDEAL PRINCIPAL DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS ENGINEER WILL HAVE:
- 12+ years hands-on software engineering experience.
- 6+ years of experience building large scale distributed, fault-tolerant services.
- Strong experience with database fundamentals including working with relational data, semi-structured data, and unstructured data.
- World-class CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- Strong systems programming skills including multi-threading, concurrency, caching, batching, etc.
- Fluency in Java and C++ required.
- Strong experience with service-oriented architectures.
- Track record of identifying and implementing creative solutions.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure - AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or a related field.
- Fluent in English.
Snowflake is growing fast, and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We are looking for people who share our values, challenge ordinary thinking, and push the pace of innovation while building a future for themselves and Snowflake.
How do you want to make your impact?